Welcome

Welcome to my photoblog. I try to keep it updated daily with a new photo from either my personal or professional life. It is not intended to be taken as my professional portfolio (please visit the main website for that), but instead it is more of an informal and fun way for me to share some of my personality and creativity with you. Many of the photos on my blog are available for purchase as fine art prints, please visit the main website and/or contact me if you are interested. Enjoy!

Friday, May 31, 2013

Family Photos Explained

  
Last week I had some time to go out with the family to take a few photos by Dows Lake with what was left of the tulips. It was late in the evening with a setting sun casting a wonderful golden light on us and the surroundings. This of course is the golden hour for photography, and the best kind of light for portraits and landscape photography. It is my preferred time of day to shoot in, but of course you need to know how to use it to your advantage and how to balance the light on your subject and the background. So I thought I would write up this post to explain how I handled the light with the two examples below.

In this first shot I wanted to get the tulips in the background to give me some colour, but I wanted them out of focus so that your eye is instantly drawn towards the subject, my daughter. Using my 85mm f/1.2 lens I could have completely opened up the aperture (f/1.2) to really blur the background (see my aperture tutorial for more info on how this works) but since I was fairly close to her I knew that if I did that very little of my daughter would be in focus as well. I therefore decided to stop down to f/3.5 since in my experience with that lens it gives me a suitable amount of depth of field, while still producing a very pleasing bokeh (blurred background). With my subject standing in open shade there was still a decent amount of light available so that I used ISO 100 to give me the cleanest photo with no grain, while still giving me fast enough shutter speeds. With aperture and ISO settings selected I metered the background to give me a correct exposure shutter speed value of 1/320th sec. To provide a bit more contrast in the subject's face I also setup an off camera flash in high-speed sync mode to the my left, which was in the same direction of the indirect sunlight. To match the colour of the setting sun and warm up the colour of the flash I covered it with a 3/4 CTO gel, and set my camera's white balance to 4600K to keep some of the warm orange tones. Other than converting the camera output from RAW to jpg, this shot is basically straight out of the camera with no added post processing.

Exif Data
Camera: Canon 5D mkII
Aperture: f/3.5
Exposure: 1/320
Focal Length: 85mm
Flash: Fired off camera
ISO: 100
Post processing included conversion from RAW


The second shot has a somewhat similar setup. I needed more depth of field since there are three people in the shot, so I stopped down to f/5.0 giving me a very sharp focus for all the girls, yet still slightly blurring the background. The sun in this shot was coming in from behind the subjects giving a very nice rim lighting, so I needed to expose for the background (shutter speed of 1/320 @ 100 ISO) and use my flash to bring the girls back from becoming silhouettes. The flash was setup on my right, and I again used a 3/4 CTO gel to match the golden sunset colour and high-speed sync. White balance was again set to 4600K to keep some of those warm tones. Other than converting the camera output from RAW to jpg, this shot is also basically straight out of the camera with no added post processing.

Exif Data
Camera: Canon 5D mkII
Aperture: f/5.0
Exposure: 1/320
Focal Length: 85mm
Flash: Fired off camera
ISO: 100
Post processing included conversion from RAW

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!
Please feel free to critique the work, tell me what you like or dont like about it. How does it make you feel? Does it draw you into the shot, or does it not interest you at all? Be as descriptive as possible, or just leave a little note, it's up to you!