Welcome

Welcome to my photoblog. I try to keep it updated daily with a new photo from either my personal or professional life. It is not intended to be taken as my professional portfolio (please visit the main website for that), but instead it is more of an informal and fun way for me to share some of my personality and creativity with you. Many of the photos on my blog are available for purchase as fine art prints, please visit the main website and/or contact me if you are interested. Enjoy!

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Venus Transit 2012

  
Today's shot for the "Photo a Day" project is called Venus Transit 2012. I went out with my good friend Jeff of Jeffrey Meyer Photography, and we combined forces (and equipment) to take this shot of the Venus transit. Venus is the dark spot in the top right of the sun, as it passed between us and the sun this evening. We stacked two 2X Teleconverters on a 70-200mm f2.8 IS II lens giving us 800mm of zoom power. We also stacked two circular polarizers to cut down the light, as well as shooting at the fastest shutter we could, lowest ISO, and the smallest aperture available (see exif below)! Turns out with this kind of setup you can get quite a decent shot of the sun, where you can even see some of the sunspots (the other 4 darkish areas)! We had lot's of fun shooting this, which was great because the next time this will ever happen will be in the year 2117, and I don't think i'll be around then to try again!

Exif Data
Camera: Canon 5D mkII
Aperture: f/64
Exposure: 1/8000
Focal Length: 200mm with TWO 2X TC (800mm)
Flash: Not-Fired
ISO: 50
Post processing included conversion from RAW, cropped, and healing tool to remove dust spots


Like this shot? Why not order a print of it

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!
Please feel free to critique the work, tell me what you like or dont like about it. How does it make you feel? Does it draw you into the shot, or does it not interest you at all? Be as descriptive as possible, or just leave a little note, it's up to you!